I've got one item pretty much done on my "to do" list - categories are now live on my blog. There's a new section in the links column to the right (below "Monthly Archives" and "Navigation") with the categories I decided to start off with.
Each category page is almost like a stand-alone blog (and they could be if I wanted them to be). Instead of showing "The Tweezer's Edge 2" at the top of the page, each page displays the category name and category description. Initially, I hated this, but I think I'm getting used to it now.
I found a neat little piece of code that takes a post, lists all the category names it has been routed to, and formats the list as links to the appropriate category blog pages. I tweaked it to use css instead of font tags, display at the bottom of the post instead of above it, and learned enough of Radio Userland's scripting language to fix a few bugs in it.
One thing I like about having categories is that instead of having to search through my entire blog to find a series of posts scattered over weeks, I can click on the appropriate category link and see them all in one place. Hopefully this will help my blog readers too. A number of blogs have linked to one of my posts about Movable Type's licensing. Sometimes I wonder if the people who read that post know of what I wrote later on the same subject and would be interested in reading those too. Now there is a link at the bottom of the post they can click on if they want to see them all.
One minor bug is that the "Monthly Archive" links on the category pages are links to the main blog archives, not the category archives. That is going to take some work to fix. I'm probably going to have to learn more scripting and write my own code to create the correct links. It's not a big deal right now, but it is something I would like to fix.
While I was at it, I decided to change the "description" of my blog. It used to be "Random thoughts from an inmate at the asylum" and now reads "Blogging the thoughts and adventures of TweezerMan!".